CSRA NSBE Jr Description
The Pre-College Initiative (PCI) program of the National Society of Black Engineers is designed to stimulate the interest in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) fields. The goal is to encourage students to attend college and pursue technical degrees.
While our students are discovering the excitement of technical development, we also create an atmosphere for them that sparks their creative abilities, develops leadership, teamwork skills, and increases cultural awareness.
Participate in NSBE’s PCI programs by becoming a member of the local Central Savannah River Area NSBE Jr chapter. Membership is available to all students in grades 6-12. Membership annual dues are $10 total, $5 go to National dues, the rest goes to local chapter dues.
Some of the NSBE Jr membership benefits are:
- College Admissions Preparation – Obtain materials to prepare you for the PSAT, SAT, and ACT
- Participate in technical competitions such as the Try-Math-A-Lon, MathCounts, Engineering Design Competition (Robotics-based), and the PCI Science Fair.
- Receive college application information including how to get into college, financial aid information, etc.
- Discounted Kaplan Test Prep services and materials. You can also receive a chance to win a free test prep class offered by Kaplan.
- Scholarships and Awards – Awarded to NSBE Jr. members in high school who have excelled academically and expressed an interest in pursuing a career in engineering and related fields.
- Subscription to The Bridge – the NSBE magazine that caters to pre-college students. (a $15 value)
- Discount Registrations for conferences and events including the Annual Convention/PCI Mini Conference held annually in March. Our conferences offer innovative programming designed to expose youth to science, technology, engineering & math (STEM)
- Leadership Development – Develop your leadership skills by serving in many chapter and some regional leadership roles
- Opportunity to meet other NSBE Jr. Collegiate and Alumni members from around the world who have walked in the footsteps that you intend to.
- Opportunities to be mentored and/or tutored by College Students or Technical Professionals currently working in a STEM field